Updated 7/1/2020 2:00 PM

Los Angeles County  is currently working through the Roadmap to Recovery from COVID-19. For information related to the reopening process as well as resources, links, and up to date lists of what is allowed to be open, please visit our dedicated reopening web page here:  Business Reopening Information

Governor Newsom announced on July 1, 2020, that all restaurants, wineries, movie theaters, zoos & museums, entertainment centers,  and cardrooms must close indoor operations effective immediately. City staff is monitoring the situation and will be providing updates as we recieve them from the County and the State.



Contact Agoura Hills City Hall and make sure the zoning is correct for your new business address.

  • Every business must meet zoning requirements and restrictions to insure that its business category and site are compatible. Before signing any leases or moving in, check with the City's Planning Division (818) 597-7328.
  • A few businesses that heavily impact their area require a Conditional Use Permit (CUP). Application for a CUP is typically a 5-month process in which environmental impacts are studied by Planning and are then subject to Planning Commission approval or denial.


File a fictitious name statement and file your "doing business as" name in a local newspaper.

  • If you use your initials or first and middle name along with your last name in the name of your business, such as A.L. Jones Materials, or Albert L. Jones Materials, you do not need to file for a fictitious name. If you use just your initials, first name or last name such as ALJ Materials, Albert Materials, or Jones Materials, you need to file for a fictitious name. If you use Sons or Company, such as Al Jones and Company Materials, or Al Jones and Sons Materials, you must file for a fictitious name. If you use any other name other than your legal given name or initials, you must file a fictitious name.
  • Prior to filing a fictitious name statement, it is recommended that you call the Los Angeles County Clerk's Office and determine if in fact your business name is already in use.
  • To file a fictitious name statement, you must contact the local newspaper. The paper will file your DBA statement with the Los Angeles County Clerk's office and publish your new business name.


Obtain a State Board of Equalization resale permit, if required. Contact the State of California to file proper State Tax forms and obtain labor standards for employees.

  • Many businesses are required to obtain a permit from the State Board of Equalization for "selling or acquiring any tangible items for repair or use in their business." You must have a resale permit if your business is commercial home-based, sales, or repair oriented. As a note - whatever parts or supplies are purchased at wholesale for later resale, you must have a resale permit.
  • If your business will have employees other than yourself, contact the Employment Development Department for information on state withholding taxes, disability and unemployment insurance.
  • For businesses employing only the owners, contact the Franchise Tax Board for state withholding and corporation state taxes.


  • Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for your employer identification number. The IRS will also provide a "business person's kit," seminars for new businesses, additional information and required forms.
  • Contact the Small Business Administration which provides financial and management training to assist you in your business operations.


Business License

The purpose of a Business License is to ensure that a business establishment is operating in the correct zoning district and in accordance with applicable Municipal Codes. It is also used in conjunction with the issuance of building occupancy certificates and to help ensure that all contractors doing business in the City are State licensed.

The business registration process also helps the City to better understand our business community. The information obtained from business licenses will help make the city's planning, fire, public safety, and security assistance activities more responsive to your needs.

The Agoura Hills Municipal Code requires all individuals, partnerships, and corporations conducting or operating a business within the City to register annually with the City, regardless of whether such business is a fixed location within the City. In addition, certain businesses are required to obtain a certain verifications from various Departments of Los Angeles County. These include businesses which are regulated by the Fire, Health, and Sheriff Departments.

Category A business licenses fee is $69 per year, plus a $4.00 State fee which covers the costs associated with processing and administering the program.  Additional fees will apply for Category B and C business licenses.  All business licenses will be renewed annually.

Click here for a list of Catergories and related fees.

You can also mail your payment to: 

City of Agoura Hills
Attn: Business License Administrator
30001 Ladyface Court
Agoura Hills, CA 91301

After your business license has been processed, you will be issued a Business License Certificate. The Business License is valid for (1) one year.

If you have any questions regarding new business license applications, please contact Valerie Darbouze at (818) 597-7328 or Any additional questions regarding lost Business Licenses or renewals, please contact the Finance Department at (818) 597-7320 or

       A. If you have followed the first four steps, you should be able to supply the City with the following information for a business license:

· Business address approved by the City's Planning Division.
· Fictitious name and any County or State permits.
· State resale permit number from the State Board of Equalization, if required.

        B. Depending on the type of business you plan to conduct, you may be required to have: 

· A Conditional Use Permit
                · A California Alcoholic Beverage Contro Department License
                · All necessary Building Permits
                · Contractor's License
                · Los Angeles County Fire Department Inspection
                · Los Angeles County Public Health Permit
                · California Massage Technician Certification

        C. When filing for a license, you will need the following information to complete the application process:

· Your business name and address
· Your business telephone number
· Description of your business
· The number of employees on staff excluding yourself as the owner
· The total square footage of the space your business occupies
· The property owner's name and the telephone number of the person to contact in case of
   an emergency
· The name, address, and telephone numbers of any contractors who will be involved in the
   operation of your business (i.e., gardeners, janitorial service, consultants, etc.) 
· Your Federal I.D. number
· Your State employee I.D. number
· Your Driver's License number 

You are ready!  Start the business licensing process by clicking the link: 

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer
View Full Site