Agoura Hills residents can reduce their risk of mosquito-borne diseases by taking these precautions:
- Avoid spending time outside when mosquitoes are most active, especially at dawn and dusk.
- When outdoors, wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts.
- Apply insect repellent according to label instructions.
- Make sure that doors and windows have tight fitting screens. Repair or replace screens that have tears or holes.
- Eliminate all sources of standing water on your property that can support mosquito breeding.
- Contact the Los Angeles County West Vector Control District at (310) 915-7370 if there is a mosquito problem where you live or work.
- Report any crows, ravens, magpies, jays or hawks found dead less than 24 hours to the California Department of Health Services toll-free hotline 1-877-WNV-BIRD. Take note of the bird’s location and its condition before calling and do not attempt to catch or handle them.
- Since horses are susceptible to WNV, and a vaccine is available for horses, horse owners are advised to contact their veterinarians about timely vaccinations.