New state law mandates that certain organizations begin to recycle organics as a part of the state's wider recycling initiative. Below are some common questions and answers about the new law and how it affects you.
WHAT IS AB 1826?
The State of California recently adopted AB 1826, a law which requires that all commercial businesses and multi-family dwellings of five units or more begin recycling organic waste that is generated at their facilities. Under AB 1826, specific dates and criteria to begin organics recycling are as follows:
- Businesses which generate 8 or more cubic yards of organic waste per week must begin recycling organics by April 1, 2016.
- Businesses which generate 4 or more cubic yards of organic waste per week must begin recycling organics by January 1, 2017.
- Businesses which generate 4 or more cubic yards of solid waste per week must begin recycling organics by January 1, 2019.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF AB 1826?
AB 1826's ultimate goal is to increase the total amount of waste recycled in California from 50% to more than 75%.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT IF MY BUSINESS OR MULTI-FAMILY DWELLING NEEDS TO RECYCLE ORGANIC WASTE UNDER AB 1826?
To find out if your business must comply AB 1826, you can call the following permitted collectors who are currently servicing your business to inquire out how many cubic yards of either organic or solid waste your business generates per week.
Anderson Disposal - Charles Anderson; (805) 526-1919Universal Waste System - Mark Blackburn, (562) 941-4900; firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle Newsham, (562) 205-4960; email@example.com
Customer Service, (800) 631-7016; firstname.lastname@example.org
Waste Management - Tom Jacobellis, (805) 955-4346
Marilyn Gallagher, (805) 955-4342
To find out if your multi-family dwelling must comply with AB 1826, please contact Waste Management at (805) 955-4342.
HOW CAN I SET UP AN ORGANICS RECYCLING SERVICE AT MY BUSINESS OR MULTI-FAMILY DWELLING?
Fortunately, there are several options available for complying with AB 1826. Businesses can subscribe to an on-site collection service with one of our many permitted local haulers certified to recycle organic waste:
- Anderson Rubbish Disposal - (805) 526-1919
- Universal Waste Systems, Inc. - (800) 631-7016
- Waste Management - (805) 552-9400
Multi-family dwellings must call Waste Management at (805) 552-9400 to set up an organics recycling program.
Generated organic waste can also be sold or donated at your discretion in compliance with AB 1826.
WHAT SUBSTANCES ARE GENERALLY ACCEPTED AS PART OF AN ORGANIC WASTE RECYCLING PROGRAM?
Organic waste substances include (but are not necessarily limited to) the following:
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meat, poultry, seafood (bones and shells)
- Bakery items and ingredients
- Eggs and paper egg cartons
- Milk, juices and cartons
- Plants and cut flowers
- Coffee grounds, filters, tea bags
- Paper products (napkins, paper towels)
WHAT ARE SOME TOOLS I CAN USE TO HELP ME SET UP ORGANICS RECYCLING AT MY BUSINESS OR MULTI-FAMILY DWELLING?
Below, you can find tools which can be used in your business or multi-family dwelling to facilitate establishing an organics recycling program.
- Organics Recycling Flyer (Businesses)
- Organics Recycling Flyer (Restaurants)
- No Merging Organics Recycling Sign
- Waste Receptacle Labels
- Sample Organics Recycling Memo
- AB 1824 Information Brochure
WHO CAN I CALL WITH MORE QUESTIONS?
You can call Solid Waste Solutions at (805) 495-7521 or the Agoura Hills City Hall at (818) 597-7314 with further inquiries about AB 1826 and how it may affect you.